Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hamilton, Ohio - What a Treat.

I have been in Hamilton for a week now and am so excited for the wedding of my cousin Jeff and his fiance Chelsea this weekend. It has been a busy week of visiting with friends, attending a wedding last weekend of my dear friend from high school, Kari and Patrick, and lots of visiting with family. Aiden has been getting around town trick or treating last night and today, and has come up with only treats, no tricks. Thank you to his cousins for the cute stuffed animal and the candy, hugs, and kisses! Speaking of treats, I have indulged myself in some of the local favorites. Among them are:

1. Skyline Chili Chilidog. "Whenever you're feeling good and hungry..." Just some useless information stuck in my brain, the jingle to Skyline Chili. A small hot dog covered in chili, cheese, mustard, and onions. I order mine with no onion, no mustard, but do love at least one of these Cincinnati treats for lunch or dinner. Also served with a side of oyster crackers. Had I not been saving room for Flubs (see next treat) I would have had a 3 Way from Skyline. This is also a hometown favorite. For those of you who read this and are not from Cincinnati, DO NOT (as I believe my sister-in-law Abby once did) go to your local grocery and buy Skyline Chili, warm it in a bowl, and proceed to eat. This is not that kind of chili! It must be served over a hot dog, with noodles, etc in a 3, 4, or 5 way (consult website for details ) or as an appetizer dip with cream cheese, shredded cheese, and Fritos. **Bonus if you eat in** you can get a mini York Peppermint Patty at the cashier table for 25 cents.

2. Flubs Soft Serve Ice Cream. Flubs is located across the street from the little league fields where my brother played (Go Senators) and I ate 5 cent gumballs and jammed to Kokomo by the Beach Boys on my tape player while watching in the bleachers. After many games, we would get a treat over at Flubs and for me, it was always the same. While my dad and brother often when for Cyclones (think DQ Blizzard) and my mom ate the sorbet of the day, I always chose the twist cone with the crunchy sprinkles. I have no idea what these sprinkles are made out of, possibly sugary peanuts and sprinkles. Whatever they are, I love them. I don't care if they fall off inevitably on your lap in the car, they are delicious and I have never seen them anywhere else. So yes, I washed down my Skyline Chilidog with a small twist with crunchy sprinkles.

3. LaRosa's: "347-1111 LaRosa's... Tastes so good, you want it bad, LaRosa's!" This is the catchy jingle which I find to be very effective considering I still remember it from my pre-college years! LaRosa's is a pizza restaurant chain throughout the Cincinnati area that I also enjoy. The sauce is kind of sweet, the bread sticks big and fluffy, and the salad fresh with just the right amount of thin sliced red onion and Parmesan cheese. I was able to indulge in this delicious treat because it was waiting for me in the refrigerator after a long reception last Saturday. Mmmm, cold LaRosa's pizza.

This post could continue as I venture to the Montgomery Inn tomorrow for Jeff and Chelsea's rehearsal, another local favorite. And Major Leagues, the bar by my parents' house, certainly deserves a blog of its own. Obviously none of these indulgences have helped me in my quest to diet post baby. I just don't want it enough? Have I come to accept the "muffin top" the appears when I try to wear my pre-pregnancy jeans? It appears so, at least for now.


Happy (early) Halloween.

Maggie

1 comment:

Margaret said...

love the post, Maggie!! I too have been struggling with the post baby diet & excercise psychosis! LOL... ahh, what babies do to our hott swimmer-jean-wearing bodies!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails