Sunday, October 10, 2010

Charts and Tests

We have been trying new things in the Kastl house, some just for kicks, some to maintain sanity.

Test 1: Coho v. Sockeye
When the seafood man at Publix asked me which salmon I wanted, my blank stare was enough for him to walk me to the freezer and show me my options. I knew I wanted wild salmon with no skin, but that was the entent of my knowledge. He showed me two options, and asked which I would like. I had no idea, so I got both, knowing a taste test would be fun. (This is not our 1st taste test, we enjoy these activities every now and then. Name brands v. store label, organic v. non-organic are a few of our past subjects.)


My winner was the Coho. It did not dry up, and was much more mild than the Sockeye. The Sockeye won in looks though, it was a very pretty pink color. Adam liked Sockeye. The tie breaker was Little A... and Coho was the winner!!!

Test 2: Aiden's Chart
After some challenging days with Little A, I hit the books again in search of any little nugget of advice that would help me tame the beast. He is the apple of my eye, my bruised-when-playing-rough-with-my-Little-A eye. I read Toddler Wise and re-opened The Happiest Toddler on the Block, a book I have referenced in other dire moments, but cannot seems to get through. Toddler Wise was a good read, and very fast. THTOTB was again opened briefly, and reminded me a of an unused tool we could try - the achievement sticker chart. I got out some markers, and made one immediately. It suggested listing 3 achievements, 2 of which are easier, and 1 of which is difficult. I decided on my 3 items, and we went to work. The difficult item, which has been giving my fits, is nap time. Always a wonderful sleeper, this departure from our normal schedule has been a huge event in our lives. I like my 2 hour breaks each afternoon, where I get so much accomplished, and live toddler free! So I awarded stickers, and pitched it to A: get 10 stickers, get a new racecar. Well, we achieved 10, got 5 racecars (I'm such a sucker) and still not in bed. Boo.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails