Tuesday, August 21, 2012

All About Graham

This post is all about my buddy Graham.  The past 6 weeks he has been in physical therapy for mild hypotomia (low muscle tone) and mild torticulis (crooked neck).  Unfortunately, the two things combined have created some challenges for my little guy.  The great thing, is that I truly believe these issues are benign, and not a symptom of any greater challenge he has in store.  I have had so many worries and fears surrounding him, but those are calmed quickly after I clear my head and look at my courageous, smart, happy, little one. 

I believe this all began even before he was born.  Then, Graham took a long time to hold his head up independently, and struggles with learning to sit on his own.  His neck is weak for his age, and he often holds his head at an angle.  We are working on all of this and he is making huge strides.  It isn't as if he just lies on the floor still though - the little man crawls!  As the doctor told me, feels low tone, has the postures, but doesn't behave like one at all.  He is a rock star.  Show him something to explore, and he will go for it.  Even if it is all the way across a room.  He is only 10% in weight, but 75% in height - he is constantly working a room and must burn calories like crazy.  He eats so much now that he is trying baby food.  All foods are accepted with an open mouth and he fusses if I feed Drew at the same time and alternate mouths.  He is not patient when it comes to food. 

All of this said, I must mention that pediatric physical therapy is not for the faint of heart.  We meet children there who are working every day and fighting for every step. I often leave the building fighting tears behind my sunglasses as I pass kids Aiden's age walking with walkers and leg braces.  The children (and their wonderful parents) never look like they are asking for sympathy, yet I grieve the missed moments of childhood that these kids don't realize.  Thank heaven for the wonderful therapists that make the difficult work the kids do seem like play.  They are saints.  I don't know how long Graham will be going twice a week to see his wonderful therapist, and if it is years, then so be it.  He is my perfect Graham and I have no doubt he will conquer anything he sets his mind and muscles on. 

Graham on the move!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails