The holidays are in full swing in Central Florida, and I must say, it is really nice here. Last year, having been only in the Orlando area for a few months when fall arrived, I was very lacsidasical and indifferent about the holidays. Do the leaves change here? No - most are tropical and stay green all year round. Do you need sweaters or mittens? Sweaters, on the rare occasion, yes, but mittens, no. Christmas just didn't seem like Christmas last year. Palm trees and Christmas lights simply do not mesh well. Nor does a stack of hay and a pumpkin decoration at Halloween match the blooming hibiscus flowers.
What a difference a year makes. Although I did miss the changing of the leaves in fall, and have fond memories of the cool nights, bonfires, changing leaves, I have many new Florida fall enjoyments that I have put me in the spirit of the fall. This year, I looked forward to turning off the A/C and not needing the heat for months at a time. We open up the house and have fresh air blowing through the windows all day and night. The air only becomes crisp in the middle of the night, and finally we use our warm down comforter again. And, those decorations that I thought looked silly last year in my Florida home look just perfect again.
It took me one quick season of transition from what I associate with fall to be changed to a new 'normal'. And I won't complain. We jogged downtown in 65 degree weather yesterday in the Orlando Turkey Trot. We walked the dog after a big turkey dinner with our flip flops on.
And when I do have some need for nostalgia and midwestern life, we can always visit. Check out our trip to IU last weekend with Kyle and Linde. It was wonderful there too.

No comments:
Post a Comment