
Growing up in the Helmers house instilled a hard fast tradition in me around the holidays - the anticipation for one of the best treats around - Hanky Panky's! Now that the tree is up, and the Hanky Panky's are made, I am ready for the guests to roll into Lake Mary at any moment.
Sure, I still have a lot of Christmas shopping to take care of, but what better way to celebrate than by eating velveeta covered sausage.
For those who may not know about this wonderful Christmas appetizer, here is the recipe:
Hanky Panky's
Origin: ??? Who knows???
Ingredients:
1 lb. spicy sausage
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. velveeta
1 tsp. Worchestershire Sauce (one of the hardest words in the English language to pronounce)
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. oregano
Pumpernickel or Rye party bread (the little square breads usually found around the deli area at Christmas)

Instructions:
Brown and drain meat in a skillet. Add spices and cubed pieces of velveeta, stir until melted.
Place a small amount on pieces of bread, cook for 10 - 15 minutes in the oven until the bread is crispy. Enjoy!
At the Helmers house, and now the Kastl house as well, the Hanky Panky's are made but not baked and then frozed until the event in which they will be served.
Happy Holidays!

4 comments:
Sounds gooood! Looks disgusting!
Hanky Panky's are a tradition in our house as well . . . though I don't think they're just for the holidays! Yum.
um...i'm not sure about that recipe but i'm willing to try it :-)
I heart the hanky panky. I distinctly remember thawing some hankys out of the Helmer's fridge after a night at major leagues a few years back....yummm
Post a Comment