My little guy is 2 years and four months old. It is time we go for it and try potty training. This post is meant for keeping track of the experience. Here's to hoping my daytime diaper purchases are complete!
Day 1 (9/4)
More messes than I can recall. A is super excited about his undies. Although several messes, he did go in the potty several times as well. Lots of cleaning, but I think it was a learning and positive day overall. We have to start somewhere, right? I'm thinking I'll give him a week. We go out of town next Thursday, so if no improvements occur by then, I'm giving it up for another month or so. M&M's are the prize for good trips to the potty.
And on a high note, Michigan opened with a W! I think A was cheering with the new task of the day in mind when I asked him to cheer "Go Blue!" and he said "how 'bout, Go Yellow!"
Day 2 (9/5)
Only 2 messes to clean up today! The 1st one occured while playing outside, and the second was in the midst of a "cool down" (aka Time Out) session while sitting on the good old green pillow in the corner. Yeah!!! What an improvment from yesterday. I did cheat a little because we went out for about an hour and A wore a pull up. We had a successful potty stop though while out if he did go at all in the pull up it was just a little.
Favorite undies: Football player Diego or Baby Gap Dinosaurs. In a suprising turn in the Thomas love affair, they have not been chosen once. Maybe A respects Thomas and Friends too much to soil them.
Is it possible I may be dehydrating my little friend? For his sake and my own I'm trying to balance between staying refreshed and staying dry.
Day 3 (9/6)
I blame myself for today. It is my understanding that potty training is best done by wearing underwear all day (except during sleep) and diligent trips to the potty with reward. Well, by 9:45am, we were in the car and off to Picture People for Aiden's portraits. Home by lunch, undies on, successful lunch and trips to potty. And that is the end of our successful day of potty training. We digressed to an accident, then diaper was on for naptime. Mommy left to run errands and while I was away my poor husband had to deal with toddler mayhem. A took off his diaper in his room and fell asleep naked. Hubby tries to re-diaper, wakes little A up, and witnesses an accident on the carpet. Diaper back on, and the entire cycle happened again. So... no nap, two spots scrubbed on A's carpet (he often falls asleep on the floor for naps) and mommy gets a text... hurry home!
Our tired buddy wore a diaper the rest of the day. I'm calling for a holiday break from potty training this afternoon - it is Labor Day after all, and I have A LOT of pee covered toddler clothes to launder tonight.
Day 4 (9/7)
This day began with a 3 am call from naked little A saying emphatically "NO Diapper!" Not what I wanted to hear, and he was adamant. Eventually, once I convinced him that his puppy and he both needed diapers we got dressed again and asleep. At this point, I decided Potty training part 1 is complete, and this project will commence again in a few weeks or maybe month. Today is a school day on top of everything, and I'm sure he's not ready for underwear at school. The teacher are very flexible with this subject, but no need to set up everyone for a messy, frustrating day.
So until next time, we are back in the diapers full time and sitting on the potty for practice when he's up for it.

1 comment:
Such a cute picture Maggie, amazing little guy!
Post a Comment