Friday, July 03, 2009

The 2nd Year has Spirit


I thought that the first year of parenthood brought with it many challenges, and the second year has proved to be even more challenging. So many more gray areas and such a feeling that I am not prepared to guide my little man through this difficult stage. I am really regretting not doing baby sign language, as those small windows into my beautiful son's thoughts would be amazing and helpful.

I know I'm a good mom, and I have the confidence to say so, yet it is an unavoidable fact that my toddler experience to date consists purely of on-the-job time with Aiden. After a long night at a friend's wedding, followed by a plane flight last weekend where Aiden was 'shushed' and I was bashed verbally by an extremely rude woman, I can't help but have questions regarding my parenting philosophies and skills. Which was my mindset when I found myself wandering the book aisles at Target. The only toddler book that I found on the shelves was 'The Happiest Toddler on the Block' by Harvey Karp M.D. It claims to be a best seller so I thought I'd give it a whirl. So far, I have found it to be comforting and insightful.


I found it humorous when the author described how most toddlers can be catagorized into one of three catagories based on a few questions. The catagories are Easy, Shy, or Spirited. My initial thought before taking the test was that he was EASY! Then, I thought honestly about my beautiful baby boy while answering all of the questions and the results were tied between easy and spirited. The next paragraph then noted that if I'm unsure, put my child down in an uncrowded mall and turn away a bit. If he runs away from me to explore, my child is spirited. The writing is on the wall, the boy has spirit!*

In spite of the challenges that I have with Aiden, I have to make light of our successes. Aiden is very loving and has continued to give hugs and kisses. Some nights, I pick up the small lamb that lies in his crib and motion that the lamb is kissing Aiden good night. Today, Aiden picked up the lamb himself and kissed it before bed. What a sweet boy. Earlier, we shared lunch together at Panera Bread. Only one piece of grilled cheese on the floor. A meal of grapes, grilled cheese, and yogurt was consumed like a big boy. No mess, no fuss. Wednesday, he learned a new word 'baby' after I have showed him a picture of a baby on flash cards. Yeah, smartie pants!!!

I'm not going to punish him for having a energetic personality, I just want to help him grow into a nice, friendly, and repectful little boy. (sigh.) We will figure it out. One thing I know for sure is that I wouldn't change one thing about you, son, I love, love, love, love you.

*Disclaimer: I have not yet finished this book, nor have I had long enough to know if some of its philosophies that I am trying will work for us. This isn't an endorsement of any sort, and I'll keep the blog updated on my constant struggle to help Aiden figure out this crazy world.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Shorty ... that baby boy is lucky to have amazing parents and you are a wonderful mom! Mean ladies in airports be damned.

much love
boo

Ermasmit said...

Oh, how frustrating. People are dumb.

Maggie said...

Aww, thanks for the support girls! Although, you many want to save your compliments until you see the boy in action in Europe!!!

xoxo

Ben and Michele said...

You are a wonderful Mommy! You both are wonderful parents. Aiden is an absolute joy to all of us and I think you have done an amazing job and I know you will continue to do so! Those mean ladies on the plane probaly are not parents and don't understand the half of what it takes! His dance moves at the reception and those kisses are enough to bring a smile to my face at any moment! We miss you guys!

mep said...

I haven't read Happiest Toddler on the Block, though it sounds like it might have helped me with Bub. Any parenting book that is insightful and comforting and not guilt/paranoia-inducing is a good one!

As the mother of a spirited child (possibly two), I will say that the challenges are sometimes greater but so are the rewards!

It sounds like you are doing a great job!

Margaret said...

hey Momma--

I sure wish our spirited boys could go explore in the mall together!! I remember reading a similar book before Keats was born and 'praying' for an 'angel baby' a.k.a. an easy baby... it took me about 6 months to surrendor that I had myself a bundle of 'spirit'...which is beautiful but tough! I think this age really lets us empathize with our parents and what they went through! And, I'm realizing that no matter what the 'stage' is (wonderful or terrifying) they're going through, it doesn't last long in the end.

hugs to you,
m

(oh yes, we were on a flight of spring breakers to FL in march where Keats SCREAMED the last hour...and they were annoyed and giving me advice... i wanted to jump out the window but a kind stewardess just mentioned to them that perhaps it was a sign that they weren't ready for parenthood and 'better use birth control' :) )

mommies unite!!

Jenni said...

You are not alone. I have the same thoughts and fears.....and Im going to get that book!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails