Sunday, April 25, 2010

Family Traditions

One of the best part of marriage, motherhood, and being part of a family is creating our own traditions. One of our biggest Kastl family traditions includes an annual trip to Elk Lake in Michigan to share time with extended family at the lake house. Smaller traditions like Taco Tuesday, or an "I love you" and kiss every night before bed occur more frequently and are important to us as well. These are parts of our lives that make us the Kastls.

One of our traditions, which got me thinking today, has to do with our beloved DVR. Ever since I can remember, we tape the new recordings of SNL and watch them during our lazy Sunday. Back in our newlywed days, when DVR's weren't quite as commonplace, we taped SNL on our non-HD, TIVO, which was connected to a 5 gazillion pound 32 inch TV located in our first home in La Grange, Kentucky. Two moves later, we rent our HD DVR and watch on our 45 pound HD LCD screen in our rental. What a difference 5 years makes! At first, we used the DVR because we had social events to attend and were out on Saturday nights like most other 20 somethings. More recently, we postpone until Sunday so we can fast forward the commercials, and/or we are asleep. The combination of no babysitter in a new town and a two year old tend to reak havoc on the social calandar.

Over the years we have watched Tina Fey and Amy Poehler on Weekend Update, and we were there laughing along the day after "D*** in a Box" was aired. Love the Target Lady. I speak only for myself when I write that I see Fred Armisen speak as Barack Obama more often than I see Barack Obama speak as Barack Obama. We know Scarlett Johanssen and Taylor Swift were awesome on the show, and we also know that January Jones was really, really bad. And when its really bad, the trusty DVR is handy to fast forward!

We like us some SNL on lazy Sundays. It's the little things.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails