Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Note to Self at 5am

I feel it necessary to follow up A's Big Boy Bed post with a discription of the past few weeks of mayhem. In the event that A will some day have a sibling, I need to write this down to remind myself to delay this process as long as possible, and try one of those crib tents before disassembling the crib altogether! This has been a more tiring, frustrating experience than any other milestone thus far. On an unrealated note: I might quit blogging altogether, as my "t" key on my keyboard is broken and typing has become very frustrating. Is this a negative blog post? As it is 5am, and I've been up since 4am, most likely.

I have spent more time checking on A and reassuring him back to sleep since BBB (big boy bed) than I have since the night feedings that stopped when A was about 3 months old. Aside from the occasional new tooth or growth spurt, he has been such a good sleeper. We have been dreading the daily bedtime ritual because it takes about twice as long (30 - 60 minutes) as it used to, and forget the 7:30/8:15 max bedtime - he's not going down until 9:00. Ugh. And I must not forget to mention we now have to cage him in his room with a gate, which he can climb if he feels absolutely necessary. And then many nights, I spend time up with him settling him down if he wakes. We've tried less naptime, no tv before bed, and various routine nighttime rituals and nothing has seemed to take. It has gotten better, but it is by no means ideal. And here I am, he woke me at 4 with some wimpering (in his defense I never had to go in to cuddle him, he just woke me) and now I'm stuck wakey wakey.

In an attempt to salvage my negativity, there is a silver lining: the early morning cuddles are pretty cute, and the naptime "put down" has been pretty much uneffected.

He will survive, and so will I, but in the mean time, it is 5am, and I'm up.

3 comments:

ErinO said...

Not going to lie...dreading this step for sure (and I have a ticking time bomb that will not allow me to put it off much longer). I just hope he transitions easily - though sounds like A was as good of a sleeper as B currently is.

Margaret said...

AHH!! I wish there was an easy answer to this! Hopefully he'll get over the new excitement/exploration of his new 'freedom' quickly! We're still struggling with early morning wake-ups and "stay in your bed" drama for put-down times... It can't last too long, right?!! Hang in there!!!

mep said...

Hope bedtime has improved since you wrote this post! I hate the transition time from stage to the next. Like LAP reminds me all the time that stages pass, but seriously, bedtime and naptime woes really stink. (By the way, how great that he is still napping without issue.)

Sorry about the code browns! Little Bit had his first one this week. Urgh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails