

For all who know our horse/dog Wally, I added these cute pictures of him cuddling on my lap as a puppy to help explain how it was that we would invite - actually pay money - to have him as part of our family. He was adorable. And in need. He was at the humane society and desperately needed us. At 3 months, he didn't have many more cute puppy months in him for an adoption success story. Which brings me to contemplate his life today...
Now that our house is Aiden's world, what ever happened to Wally, our dog-child that was the center of our world prior to 'real' parenthood? Life has definitely changed. He is banished to the den, where he lies most of the day. This is not a physical banishment, more self-imposed banishment because I scold him so often to stay out of the great room where the baby plays. (I don't really want them playing together, Aiden has a tendency to pull his hair, and the shedding is annoying with a baby crawling/ walking around all day.) I rarely gets Wally's toys out of the basket anymore because Aiden would play with them and that would be dirty. As he is the 'high anxiety' dog I wrote about from his failed adventure at obedience school, he rarely gets to head out with Aiden and I on walks. And when I host play groups - he is banished to the garage for hours at a time.
Prior to Aiden, Wally was invited up regularly to cuddle on our bed - Adam's side only. Now, sleep being a precious commodity not to be interrupted, there is a strict no dog on the bed rule that is never broken.
I can't say he is the worse for it though, as a stay at home mom/pet owner Wally never is gated in the laundry room, as he was when I worked full time. And now that Adam and I are training for the half marathon on May, he does get the occasional 5k run in with us.
Its not Wally World anymore, but I think he is still a pretty lucky dog. And upon further inspection, maybe his life is better. I found an alarming number of 'pre-Aiden' pictures where my husband had dressed Wally in clothing, in contrast to the peaceful, sleepy 'post-Aiden' photo.


3 comments:
I have a friend, pregnant with twins, who seems to think she will still allow the dogs in bed, and all the luxuries they previously had...
Right.
Just wait until Aiden is REALLY sharing his food with Wally...then he'll know he's hit the jackpot. Patience, Wally.
I do feel bad for the dog that Adam dressed him up. No dog should have to suffer that kind of embarrassment! :)
This sounds so familiar to what goes on in our house now with the dog. Too funny!
Post a Comment