Monday, March 02, 2009

One Singular Sensation - And It Wasn't 'A Chorus Line'


At least once a month, Adam and I celebrate being parents of our lovely child by... leaving him and going on a date*!!! We bought season tickets to the Bob Carr Theater and have seen three shows so far.
I know, sounds kind of boring, but we get to go out to dinner before hand, and they serve martinis, champagne, beer, and M&M's! What more could a gal want? Plus, this was the perfect way for us to get to a few of the shows we (I) really wanted to see and have a scheduled date night on a regular basis. We have seen The Wizard of Oz, Avenue Q, and A Chorus Line. We have had a great time each time we've been out, but I am afraid to say there has only been one show we REALLY enjoyed. Avenue Q was histerical. It was the 'one singular sensation' that we have seen thus far! It was smart, funny, and really targeted to our generation. It was one of the funniest live shows I've ever seen. Did I mention it was funny? Not for all theater goers though - the older couple in front of us did not appreciate the dirty humor and did not stay the whole show. But this is the same couple that knew all the words and chords to A Chorus Line, which I thought was the worst live** theater show I've ever seen. Definitely a generation gap. The Wizard of Oz was fine, it was what I expected. The only outstanding aspect of the show was the really cute dog that played Toto. It would be fun to take a daughter there and let her dress up in her Dorothy costume, as many of the ticket holders did.

Long story short, I don't regret getting the tickets, and Avenue Q is a must see. I am very excited for the 2nd half of the season, because it includes Legally Blonde and Jersey Boys.

And... thank heaven for babysitters!

*I had date night picture of us that I was going to post in order to prove that I do have some non-mommy clothes, and I do put on makeup and comb my hair. It must have been deleted so no proof is available at this time.

**I have rented several theater movies and some not so good. I watched Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street last night, and if it hadn't been for Johnny Depp, I would not have made it through. And Rent was not so good on screen either.

2 comments:

PITA said...

I saw Avenue Q a few years ago while in NYC with my mom and sister MEP. I thought is was so funny, definitely one of my favorites!

mep said...

Yes, Avenue Q is hilarious and Hugh Jackman was there watching it same time we were, not to brag.

Good for you for making date nights a priority!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails